Welcome to Alumni Stories..

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Different Path

by: Terranya M. Tiamson

At first, I was just curious why she was invited to be a guest speaker in one occasion when she told me she will be absent from my class. I am surprised that a student like her was given such honor to share to a group of people. When I asked her what the occasion was, she coyly and in a whisper told me that she will be speaking in behalf of the persons with disabilities in Calatagan, Batangas. I just calmly said, “okay” but at the back of my mind I secretly admired her spirit. Without a hint, that day started her different path.

Geaneen Gomez
“My dream is to be able to work and help my parents.” Geaneen Gomez said, graduated Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Batch 2011 at STI College Balayan with Academic Recognition and Extra-Curricular Awards. Many would say her dream is too plain and unimaginative, it is common to every son or daughter, but what she is, is a challenge far from our imagination to be able to reach that simple dream. She has an inborn disability.

It was January 2011, when she started not in the field of IT that she loves and hope of becoming successful, but in a different path. She was invited at the Municipality of Calatagan to attend the 3-day Leadership Training Seminar organized by the Norfil Foundation for persons with disabilities while she is still a graduating student. During the seminar, she claimed that she has learned the rights of the persons with disabilities and said “I saw the hardships of other persons with disabilities like me. I felt in my heart the will and the courage to take a stand, to lead and to help others like me“.

Another opportunity followed, the Municipality of Calatagan sent her to attend a meeting at the Batangas City Municipal Hall where she became more aware of the conditions of the people like her. Not knowing it was for the election of officers, she was elected as Representative of the Persons with Disabilities (PwD) for District 1 in Batangas. “I believe it is God’s will that I will work and be of help to those like me,” Geaneen said.

It was indeed a big responsibility for someone who is new in the organization but her determination and will to help others paved the way even if it will mean sacrificing her time and other activities. She attended her classes on weekdays and works for the federation every weekend, talking to different people, asking help or inspiring others. She is in constant communication with the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (MSWDO) which also caters to the Calatagan Association of Disabled Persons where she is elected President. MSWDO also helped her realize her plans and projects for the PwD which includes children, teenagers, adults and even special children. As President, she makes plans, organizes events and manages the organization. The most important accomplishment she made for the organization in 2011 were the issuance of individual identification and PhilHeatlh cards which were a great help to each PwD members.

Geaneen at the Independent Living and Peer
Counseling Seminar at Bayview Park Hotel, Manila
Her enthusiasm to help and devotion to her work even without compensation has given her another opportunity. It was charity at work. She was elected Chairman of the Education Committee for the PwD which will give each member a chance to education. In line with this, one of her planned activity is to teach them how to operate computers and expose them to the current technology. It was sad that many in her group and even the officers are not computer literate.

Her obligations also led her to attend various activities, trainings and seminars like the Independent Living and Peer Counseling at Bayview Park Hotel, Manila. Last Feb, their group went to Tuy and Calaca, Batangas to organize their officers in the chapter and on March, Geaneen attended the Forum on Installation of Barangay Violence Against Women (VAW) Desk in Provincial Auditorium Capitol Site, Batangas, City.

Despite her busy schedule at the organization, she continually applies for job. “Isang malaking dagok sa akin ang pagkakaroon ko ng kapansanan para ma-hire sa isang kumpanya. Hindi pa man ako nagtake ng exam nila or na-interview eh, bagsak na. Noon ko naramdaman na napakababa ng posibilidad na matanggap ako dahil sa aking kapansanan, so I rested from applying and took an Education Modular Approach Program at the University of Perpetual Help” she stated.

“I believe nobody has the right to put me down or despise me. I experienced discrimination and also see how PwD like me was discriminated. I chose education because I feel I am more suited in that field and para makapagturo ako sa mga taong nangangailangan ng sapat na atensyon at pang unawa. I want to teach them because I know the feeling of being different from others. Gusto ko ipakita sa lahat ng mga nagreject saken na kaya ko rin ang ginagawa ng isang normal na tao” she added.
Geaneen is now working on her wheelchair program, requesting support from Mr. Abner Manlapaz President of Life Haven Inc, other groups and people to be able to provide for those in need of wheelchairs who cannot afford to buy. They will conduct measuring for the wheelchair beneficiary this April. Her team will also have scheduled home visitations and training for the livelihood project in the coming months.

“I know it is a big challenge for me but I know if I will do my best, everything that I planned will be accomplished.” Geaneen ended.


Geaneen (center) at Tanauan city during the 147th Birth Anniversary of Apolinario Mabini. 7th Palarong Bayani 2011with the Batangas Federation, President Mr. Jorge Alvarez (to her left)

No comments:

Post a Comment